Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mondrian Abstract

Artwork by Piet Mondrian is oddly divisive; his work is the type that most people refer to when they say they don't get modern art. This kind of stuff:


Maybe it's so utilitarian because it was the Great Depression?  Imagination is expensive.


Bold lines, sharp angles, seemingly random colors and placement.  It's aesthetic, to some.  Personally, I'd never hang this kind of artwork in my home, simply because it's not my thing.  I can appreciate it (kinda?), but overall, meh.

This kind of artwork on nails?

Works a whole lot better!


The lines are... mostly straight.


It was surprisingly easy to do.  I painted Zoya Jolie in a wide swath down the right side of the nails, ensuring I didn't cover the left third at all, and that the line between then was relatively straight.  When that dried, I painted Zoya Goldie starting at about the third mark away from the cuticle, maintaining the side line.  There was room for minor error since the black would be covering it, but not too much room.  The dots are there because dots are awesome, obviously.  Not that Mondrian ever actually included them.

Layer of top coat, and it's done.  Obviously, any two colors would work great instead of the Jolie and Goldie, so long as the second color is opaque enough to cover the first - and maybe not even then.  Lines can be rearranged, colors added.  This is super versatile.

And probably one of my favorite designs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment